I am currently a Ph.D student in the School of Computer, in the University of Manchester, supervised by Robert Stevens and Alan Rector. The area I am working on is related with the comprehension and use of ontologies. In particular, my PhD topic is about the detection of syntactic regularities and patterns in OWL ontologies. I have also worked on metrics for analysing the design style of ontology repositories.
Before that, I worked as a Research Assistant for the European CASPAR project. My work there involved the use of standard ontologies for the preservation of Interactive Multimedia Performances. I have also acquired a BEng in Electrical and Computer Engineering, in the University of Patras and an MSc in Advanced Computer Science from the School of Computer, University of Manchester. My MSc dissertation was supervised by Alan Rector and it was related with the abstraction of the Foundation Model of Anatomy (FMA) ontology in OWL with the application of Ontology Design Patterns (ODP).
Apart from being a PhD student, I am also a mentor in the Computer Science department; a unique scheme in the University of Manchester. My role as a mentor is to help and support new PhD students. In the mentors team we also organise many events for PhD students like hiking trips, social dinners, academic events etc, which is great fun!
- Eleni Mikroyannidi, Robert Stevens, Luigi Iannone. Tradeoffs in Measuring Entity Similarity for Pattern Detection in OWL Ontologies. In the 10th OWL: Experiences and Directions Workshop (OWLED), 2013. [PDF]
- Eleni Mikroyannidi, Robert Stevens, Luigi Iannone, Alan Rector. Analysing Syntactic Regularities and Irregularities in SNOMED-CT. Journal of biomedical semantics, 3(1):8, 2012. [PDF]
- Eleni Mikroyannidi, Nor Azlinayati Abdul Manaf, Luigi Iannone and Robert Stevens. Analysing Syntactic Regularities in Ontologies. In the 9th OWL: Experiences and Directions Workshop (OWLED), 2012. [PDF]
- E. Mikroyannidi, L. Iannone, R. Stevens, and A. Rector. Inspecting regularities and irregularities in SNOMED-CT. In Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Semantic Web Applications and Tools for the Life Sciences, SWAT4LS 2011, New York, NY, USA, 2012. ACM. [PDF]
- E. Mikroyannidi, L. Iannone, R. Stevens, and A. Rector. Inspecting regularities in ontology design using clustering. In 10th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2011, pages 438–453, 2011. [PDF]
- E. Mikroyannidi, R. Stevens, and A. Rector. Identifying ontology design styles with metrics. In 7th International Workshop on Semantic Web Enabled Software Engineering (SWESE), 10th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2011. [PDF]
- Eleni Mikroyannidi, Alan Rector, Robert Stevens, "Abstracting and Generalising the Foundational Model Anatomy (FMA) Ontology" in Proceedings of the Bio-Ontologies 2009 Conference, Stockholm, June 2009. [PDF]
- Kia Ng, Eleni Mikroyannidi, Bee Ong, David Giaretta, "An Ontology based Framework for the Preservation of Interactive Multimedia Performances" in Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on e-Science 2009, Oxford, UK. [PDF]
- Kia Ng, Eleni Mikroyannidi, Bee Ong, Nicolas Esposito and David Giaretta, "Interactive Multimedia Systems for Technology-Enhanced Learning and Preservation" in Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems 2009, San Francisco, September 2009.
- G. Kahrimanis, E. Mikroyannidi, N. Avouris, Assessing the Quality of Synchronous Network Learning Activities using Machine Learning Techniques in Proceedings of Networked Learning Conference, Halkidiki, May 2008.
- Eleni Mikroyannidi,"Abstracting and Generalizing a Large Anatomy Ontology" MSc dissertation, Computer Science School, The University of Manchester, 2008.
- Eleni Mikroyannidi Collaborative processes analysis with the use of Machine Learning Techniques, BEng dissertation, University of Patras, 2007.
School of Computer Science
The University of Manchester
email: mikroyae (at) cs.man.ac.uk