The School of Computer Science maintains a list of project adverts proposed by members of staff.
current Ph.D. Students
- Ahmad Alam is working with Andy Brass and myself on the informatics support for forensic egyptology, which has all the usual integration issues...
- Geraint Duck is researching the extraction of methods from computational biology texts and their semantic description and ultimate presentation as workflows. I co-supervise Geraint with Goran Nenadic and David Robertson.
- Maria copeland is working with myself, Bijan parsia and rob Procter to investigate some of the social aspects of collaborative ontology authoring and how they link with what happens during the actual engineering of axioms as it happens over time - investigating axiom dynamics.
- Eleni Mikroyannidi is working on detecting regularities and irregularities in ontologies written inn OWL. oThis is all part of investigating ntology comprehension -- how do we enable users to understand the complex, logical artefacts that are OWL ontologies. I co-supervise Eleni with Alan Rector.
- Azlinayati Manaf has started looking at the relationship between the Simple Knowledge Organisation System (SKOS) and the Web Ontology Language (OWL).
Previous Ph.D. Students
- Mikel Egaņa Aranguren is looking at the use of design patterns as a way of enriching ontologies in OWL and improving their engineering. His work is the latest manifestation of the GONG project.
- James Eales has been doing some work on the application of text mining to automatic extraction of experimental methods from the phylogenetic literature.
- Paul Fisher is developing methodologies for analysing gene expression data in a systematic and unbiased manner. these are implemented by using Taverna workflows from the myGrid project.
- Rachel BrenchleyIs using ontological classification of proteins described by their sequence features to understand the profile of protein phosphatases in a series of parasites.
- Andy Brown is doing research into how annotations of representations of graph based diagrams can aid reading and understanding by bisually disabled people.
- Karim Nassarhas been investigating methods of knowledge ellicitation in the development of bio-ontologies, especially the use of Concept Maps as a tecnique for the immediate capture of biologists view of the biological world
- Duncan Hull is exploring ways of managing the problem of matching bioinformatics Web services in the construction of myGrid taverna workflows and overcoming the shim problem.
- Jun Zhao researched and developed models of provenance for e-Science experiments as a part of the mygrid project
- Yeliz Yesilada did research on the use of a travel metaphor in the exploration of Web pages by visually disabled people.
- Katy Wolstencroft used ontologies of protein phosphatases to manage a protein phosphatase database (Phosphabase) and to classify the members of that protein family.