Yacc owes much to a
most stimulating collection of users, who have goaded
me beyond my inclination, and frequently beyond my
ability, in their endless search for ``one more feature''.
Their irritating unwillingness to learn how to
do things my way has usually led to my doing things their way;
most of the time, they have been right.
B. W. Kernighan, P. J. Plauger, S. I. Feldman, C. Imagna,
M. E. Lesk,
and A. Snyder will recognize some of their ideas in the current version
C. B. Haley contributed to the error recovery algorithm.
D. M. Ritchie, B. W. Kernighan, and M. O. Harris helped translate this document into English.
Al Aho also deserves special credit for bringing
the mountain to Mohammed, and other favors.
1. The C Programming Language, B. W. Kernighan, and D. M. Ritchie, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1978.
2. LR Parsing, A. V. Aho, and S. C. Johnson, Comp. Surveys, vol. 6, no. 2, no. 99-124, June 1974.
3. Deterministic Parsing of Ambiguous Grammars, A. V. Aho, , S. C. Johnson, , and J. D. Ullman, Comm. Assoc. Comp. Mach., acm cacm, vol. 18, no. 8, no. 441-452, August 1975.
4. A. V. Aho, and J. D. Ullman, Principles of Compiler Design, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1977.
5. 65, Comp. Sci. Tech. Rep. No. 65, CSTR, S. C. Johnson, Lint, a C Program Checker, December 1977. updated version TM 78-1273-3, 1978.
6. A Portable Compiler: Theory and Practice, S. C. Johnson, Proc. 5th ACM Symp. on Principles of Programming Languages, no. 97-104, January 1978.
7. 17, cstr, Comp. Sci. Tech. Rep. No. 17, Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey, B. W. Kernighan, and L. L. Cherry, A System for Typesetting Mathematics, May 1974, revised April 1977, Comm. Assoc. Comp. Mach., acm cacm, vol. 18, no. 151-157, March 1975.
Comp. Sci. Tech. Rep. No. 39,
Murray Hill, New Jersey,
M. E. Lesk,
Lex - A Lexical Analyzer Generator,