School of Computer Science Intranet
I was a researcher working on the Jamaica
project, designing future computer architectures, compilers,
binary translators and operating systems. I have had research
interests in network security, real-time network protocols and
e-learning. I had a senior position
working for Azul Systems,
solving the design of virtual machines for server environments (you can
get involved too!). I have recently joined the Android mobile
group at Google.
I have and have had a range of commitments including:
- First International Workshop on Trace Compilation
- I am a program committee member for IWTC 2011.
- Principles and Practice of Programming Java (PPPJ 2011)
- I am a program committee member for PPPJ 2011.
- Implementation, Compilation, Optimization of Object-Oriented Languages, Programs and Systems (ICOOOLPS 2011)
- I am the chair for ICOOOLPS 2011.
- Runtime Environments/Systems, Layering and Virtualized Environments (ASPLOS RESoLVE)
- I am a program committee member for the 2011 ASPLOS RESoLVE workshop.
- Virtual Execution Environments (VEE'11)
- I am a program committee member for VEE'11.
- The Second International Forum on Next Generation Multicore/Manycore Technologies (IFMT'10)
- I am a technical program committee member for IFMT.
- 3rd International Conference on Contemporary Computing (IC3 2010)
- I am a program committee member for IC3 in the area of systems.
- Managed Runtime Initiative
- A new design initiative solving the problems with interactions between operating systems and virtual machines.
- Metacircular Research Platform (MRP)
- A new metacircular virtual machine design effort, already substantially improving over Jikes RVM.
In the past my commitments have included:
- Google Summer of Code 2008
- I was the organization administrator and mentor for Jikes RVM in the Google SoC 2008 and 2007.
- Jikes RVM
- I was a core team member of the Jikes RVM and its leading contributor for the years up to 2010
- I look after an open source Java based dynamic binary translator
(x86/PPC/ARM) that are now merged into MRP.
- My PhD work was part of the foundation for Transitive Technologies where I was a senior engineer and design authority. One technology I was responsible for creating was Apple's Rosetta
Me and my beautiful wife LiRong in Llanberis: