Dr. Barry M.G.Cheetham B.Sc., PhD., C.Eng., MIET, MIEEE
Senior Lecturer in Signal Processing and Telecommunications for
current post in February 1998.
From October 1979 until January 1998,
Barry was a lecturer in the Department of Electrical Engineering & Electronics,
I have held about 25 research grants, including 5 EPSRC and 2 EU grants including a European "concerted action”.
I supervised 29 successful Ph.D. projects, and had long term involvement with a number of communications companies including BT.
I have published 1 book, 2 book chapters, 27 journal papers, 40 international conference papers, 20 colloquium papers, 9 abstracts, 3 articles and have been responsible for four patents held by BT.
extensive teaching and administrational experience including that of being
instigator and Director of an M.Sc.(
I have been a member and chairman of the IEE E10 "Circuits & Systems" professional group committee, a member of IEE Divisional Board, Premiums Committees, and other professional groups.
I have been external examiner for 21 Ph.D. and two M.Phil projects, and have served on the organising committee for major international conferences: including ECCTD’89 , IEEE ISCAS’94 and ILSA’97 and ICLSP’98.
Current research projects (2016):
Completed Research Projects (since 2000):
· 2001 "Sinusoidal transform coding of speech for mobile communications" , PhD student: Dr. M.S. HO
· 2002 "The discrete all-pole model applied to speech coding and synthesis" , PhD student: Dr. D. MOLYNEUX
· 2003 "Variable bit-rate speech coding for mobile telephony", Ph. D Student: Dr. Ning. Li
· 2004 "Internet technology for distance learning", Ph.D. Student: Dr. Li.Rong. HE
· 2004 " Modulation techniques for future mobile radio", M.Phil student: A. ESHHUUBI
· 2005 " Time-frequency analysis applied to biomedical signals", Ph.D.Student: Dr. YEN.HA. HIEW
· 2006 "Time-frequency analysis of musical performance", Ph.D. student: Dr. ANDREW. EARIS
· 2006 ‘Energy aware compilations for an asynchronous DSP core’ Ph D student: Dr. XIaoXia (Lizzie). Ni
· 2007 ‘High quality (DECT) voice over WLAN: WINDECT’ (www.WINDECT.ethz.ch )
· "Techniques for the short term spectral analysis of speech as required for low bit rate coding" British Telecom (ML770603/MH183 GG272NEY)
· 1993-96 "Efficient Techniques for speech synthesis using an articulatory model" (GR/H79013 /RGEEFD)
· 1995-98 "Variable bit-rate speech coding for mobile radio networks" (DTI/EPSRC LINK project with BT Laboratories & Ensigma Ltd)
1994-97 European research grant under "Biomed
III": Concerted Action: "CORSA"
· 2000-01 (with David Tait) ESPICO: Implementation of speech processing algorithms on DSP cores.
2003-2006 WINDECT : EU ‘Framework 6’ Specific targetted research & Innovation Project in
collaboration with Ascom (Switzerland), Winfinity (Berlin), IHP (Frankfurt-Oder),
ETH (Zurich), Josef Stefan Institute (Ljubjana Slovenia) & Manchester University (UK). WINDECT aims to merge wireless networks by integrating professional quality
telephony into WLANs to achieve high quality voice over WLAN. This will lead to an innovative application in the field of wireless and mobile communications in converged
enterprise networks. ( www.windect.ethz.ch )
· 2010-2014 “Clipping Noise Mitigating Iterative Receivers for OFDM”, PhD student: Dr. Nargis Bibi
· 2012-2016‘ ‘Computerised GRBAS Assessment of Voice Quality’, PhD student: Dr. Farideh Jalalinajafabadi
· 2010-2016, ‘Adaptive E-Learning Based On Proven Educational Theories’, PhD student: Dr. Samar Alkhuraijai
Barry’s Teaching and Administration
CS3291: Year 3: ‘Digital Signal Processing’: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~barry/mydocs/CS3291
CS3282: Year 3: ‘Digital Communications’: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~barry/mydocs/CS3282
COMP30291 Year 3 ‘Digital media processing’ http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~barry/mydocs/COMP30291
Final Year & MSc Computer Science Projects (2009-10): http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~barry/mydocs/Projects
COMP18112: Year 1: ‘Foundations of Distributed Computing’: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~barry/mydocs/MyCOMP18112
COMP28512: Year 2: ‘Mobile Systems’: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~barry/mydocs/MyCOMP28512
COMP61232: M.Sc.: ‘Mobile Communications’ given by Dr. Barry Cheetham and Dr. Nick Filer:
COMP80131: PhD Scientific Methods 1: ‘Scientific Evaluation, Experimental Design & Statistical Methods’ (Barry & Goran)
PGR-Postgraduate Research Student Admissions & CS-CDT Acting Manager
Organizer: Final Year Projects.
Chairman: Siemens medal award committee for Computer Science.
Member: Computer Science ‘Mathematics’ committee.
(1) S.Alkhuraiji, B. Cheetham, and O. Bamasak.
'Towards Adaptive E-Learning Based On Proven Educational
Theories'. in The Eighth IASTED International
Conference, Web-based Education. 2010. Sharm El
(2). S.Alkhuraiji, B. Cheetham & O. Bamasak. Dynamic Adaptive Mechanism in Learning
Management System Based on Learning Styles. in
11th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies 2011.
(3). Samar Alkhuraiji, Barry Cheetham, MohammedAdbel Razek&Omaima Bamasak., Emerging Web 2.0 for Adaptive Learning Management System Based on Student’s Learning Styles. Web 2.0 Tools, Methodology and Services For Enhancing Intelligent Tutoring SystemsWorkshop, Supplementary Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems, Chania, Greece., 2012: p. 15-31.
(5) Nargis Bibi & Barry Cheetham, “Clipping Noise Mitigating Iterative Receivers
for OFDM” Proc 3rd IEEE
International Conference on Networked
Embedded Systems for Every Application (NESEA), pp. 1-5, 13-14 Dec. 2012
(6) C. Gadepalli, F. Jalalinajafabadi, F.Ascott, B.Cheetham, J.J. Homer, “Inter and intra rater consistency
in GRBAS scoring”, Royal College of Surgeons, ‘Cutting edge lanyngology 2013, 17-19 June 2013,
(7) A Nenadic, N Zhang, BMG Cheetham, CA Goble, 'RSA based certified delivery of E-goods using verifiable and recoverable signature encryption',
Journal of Universal Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, , ISSN 094869x, pp 175-192, vol 11(1), 1 Jan 2005
(8) He LR & Cheetham BMG, "Real time multi-media facilities for distance learning over a network link", Proc. IEE Seventeenth UK Teletraffic Symposium, Dublin, 16-18 May 2001, pp. 3/1-3/5,
(9) MS Ho, DY Molyneux, BMG Cheetham, "A hybrid sub-band sinusoidal coding scheme", Proc Eurospeech 2001, Aalborg, Denmark, vol 3,
pp 1985-1988, Sept 2001. (ISBN 87-90834-09-7 & ISBN 87-90834-10-0)
(10) A. Earis, BMG Cheetham, "Analysing expression in musical performance", Institute of Acoustics (IOA) ‘Acoustics Bulletin’ 29 (4), 2004, pp29-33,
ISSN 0308-437X, www.ioa.org.uk/bulletin.asp
(11) A Earis & BMG Cheetham " Extraction of expressive performance parameters from recordings of piano music",
Proc Institute of Acoustics Spring
(12) A. Earis, BMG Cheetham & DJ Tait, "Extraction of performance parameters from acoustic recordings of piano music", Proc Institute of Acoustics
Spring Conference, 2002, ISBN
1901656454, ISSN 03098117, volume 24 (2),
(13) A. Earis BMG Cheetham & DJ Tait "Quantative analysis of expressive timing and dynamics of musical performance", Investigating Music performance:
Fourth International meeting of Society
for Education, Music & Psychology Research (SEMPRE), Royal College of
(14) Hiew Y. H., Smith J.A., Earis J.E., Cheetham B.M.G., Woodcock A.A. "DSP Algorithms for Cough identification and counting",
Conference of Acoustic, Speech & Signal Processing 2002 (ICASSP),
pp.3888-3891 (ISBN 0-7803-7403-7)
(15) N. Li & BMG Cheetham,
'A variable frame-rate scheme for sinusoidal transform coding' Proc IEEE
ICASSP2002, 1 May 2002, 4163-4167, vol. 4,
(16) BMG Cheetham, "Real time multimedia communications for distance learning networks" Invited paper, Proc International Conference on e-Education,
(17) LR He, I Rogers, LS He, BMG Cheetham, W Suntiamorntut 'A New Transport Control Protocol Applied to Real-Time Multimedia Distance Learning',Proc ICICS Dec 2005, Bangkok, Thailand, http://www.icics.org/2005
(18) Kuhn M., Ettefagh A., Lunn, A., Cheetham B., Spegel M, "Professional quality voice over WLAN",
Proc 60th IEEE Vehicular Technology
.(ISBN 0-7803-8521-7, ISSN 1090-3038)
(19) A. Lunn, Marc Kuhn, Michael Kuhn, A Ettefagh, BMG Cheetham, M Spegel, "High quality telephony over WLAN"
(20) BMG. Cheetham, T Becker, FM Krause, K Tittelbach-Helmrich,
M Methfessel, A Lunn,
" DECT over WLAN with seamless hand-over and load
balancing", First International Symposium on Broadband Communications, (ISBC'04), 12-15 December, 2004, Harrogate (Leeds), UK
(21) A Lunn, M Kuhn, BMG Cheetham, "Providing professional quality voice over WLAN using DECT", ‘WIFI VOICE’ Conference 2005:
Achieving VoIP over WLAN,
(22) Ettafagh A., Kuhn M., Cheetham B.M.G., Wittneben A.,
“ Comparison of distributed and co-located antenna diversity schemes for the coverage improvement of VoWLAN systems”,
Proc 16th IEEE Int Symposium on Personal & Indoor Radio Communications, PIMRC 2005, vol 1, 11-14 Sept 2005, pp77-81
(23) Tramanzas A., Cheetham BMG, van Harmelen M.,& . Walker A.C., ‘Peer-to-peer networks based on hierarchies of trust’, Proc 5th IEEE Conference on Peer-to-peer Computing 2005 (P2P 2005), pp160-161, 0-7695-5/05 $20.00, http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/P2P.2005.26 , 2005
(24) BMG Cheetham , A Ettafagh, M Spegel, KM Nasr, E Ravnikar “
Voice over WLAN for Converged Enterprise Networks”,
15th IST Mobile & Wireless Communications Summit 2006, Mykonos accepted, (paper id. MS2006-880), 4-8 June, 2006
(25) BMG Cheetham & K. Nasr “Error concealment for Voice over
WLAN in Converged Enterprise Networks”,
15th IST Mobile & Wireless Communications Summit 2006,
(26) Hiew Y. H., Smith J.A., Tait D.J., Cheetham B.M.G., Earis J.E., Woodcock A.A."Long-term Objective Cough Recognition And Quantification",
IEE Medical Application of Signal
Lizzie's PREP conf. paper and
(28) BMG Cheetham & A.I Eshhubi, "Voice over an OFDM based wireless LAN", Proc IEE Colloquium on DSP Enabled Radio, 22-23 September 2003,
(29) X. Ni,
"Design of an asynchronous function unit and software development tools for a low power DSP"
Proc. IEE Colloquium on DSP enabled
radio, 22-23 September 2003, ILSI,
(30) BMG Cheetham & A.I Eshhubi,
"Voice over IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN", COST273 Technical Document TD(03)146,
May22-23, presented at the COST273 meeting
(31) BMG Cheetham & A.I Eshhubi,
"Voice over OFDM based Wireless LAN", COST273 Technical Document TD(03) 068,
(32 ) M Spegel & BMG Cheetham, ‘WINDECT: DECT over WLAN’, Presented at EU IST-Framework 6 (Communication Technologies)
Interface (BAI) Cluster’ meeting in
(33) BMG Cheetham ‘VoWLAN in converged enterprise networks (WINDECT)’, Workshop on ‘Voice over WLAN’, IBBT Broadband Europe conference
(BBEurope) held in Palais des Congres de Bordeaux, France, 12-14 Dec 2005, www.bbeurope.org contribution WE-WS03.
Some less recent publications
1. Wong, W. T. K., Mack, R. M., Cheetham, B. M. G. & Sun, X. Q., "Low rate speech coding for telecommunications", BT Technology Journal, Vol. 14, No.1, January 1996, pp28-44.
2. Spence D.P.S., Graham D.R., Jamieson G., Cheetham B.M.G., Calverly, P.M.A. & Earis J.E. , "The relationship between wheezing and lung mechanics during methacholine induced broncho-constriction in asthmatic subjects", American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol 154 , Sept 1996, pp. 290-294.
Pollard M.P , Cheetham
B.M.G., Goodyear C.C., M.D. Edgington (BT) "
Enhanced shape - invariant pitch and time-scale modification for concatenative speech synthesis", Proc. Int. Conf. for
Spoken Language Processing, ICLSP’96, Vol 3, pp
1429-1433. Oct ‘96,
4. Pollard M.P., Cheetham B.M.G, Goodyear C.C.& Edgington M.D. " Phase interpolation methods for pitch and time-scale modification of voiced speech" Proc. Institute of Acoustics, vol 18 part 9 (1996), pp91-98, Nov 1996
5. Plante F., Kessler H, Cheetham
B.M.G. & Earis J.E. " Speech Monitoring of
infective laryngitis", Proc. Int. Conf. for Spoken Language Processing,
ICLSP’96, Vol 1, pp 700-704. Oct
6. Pollard M.P , Cheetham B.M.G., Goodyear C.C. & M.D. Edgington (BT), "Shape-invariant pitch and time-scale modification of speech by variable order phase interpolation" Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. ICASSP’97, Munich, April 1997 (Vol 2 pp.919-923)
7. Sun X.Q., Plante F, Cheetham BMG & Wong WTK, "Phase modelling of speech excitation for low bit-rate sinusoidal transform coding", Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. ICASSP’97, Munich, April 1997 (Vol 3, pp.1691-1694).
8. Cheetham B.M.G., Choi H.B., Sun X.Q., Goodyear C.C.,Plante F., Wong WTK, "All-pass excitation phase modelling for low bit-rate speech coding", IEEE Int. Symposium on Circuits & Systems, ISCAS’97 Hong Kong, 9-12 June 1997, (paper TH1K15), vol. 4, pp2633-2636
9.. Plante F., Salian S., Scholder J., Cheetham BMG, Earis J. "Inverse filtering of voiced sounds for the study of laryngeal disease" Proc. Int. Conf. Larynx 97, Marseille France, June 16-18, 1997, pp51-54.
10. Watson S.D., Cheetham BMG, Wong WTK, Barrett PA & Lewis AV, "Voice activity detector for ITU-T 8kbit/s speech coding standard G729", Proc Eurospeech’97, Vol 3, pp 1571-1574, Rhodes, Greece, Sept 1997
11. Jones D., Watson, Evans KG Cheetham BMG, "A network speech echo canceller with comfort noise" Proc. Eurospeech ’97, Vol 5, pp. 2607-2610, Rhodes, Greece, Sept, 1997
12. Sun X.Q. & Cheetham BMG, "Speech excitation modelling for low bit-rate speech coding", IEEE Speech Coding Workshop, Philadelphia, USA, 7-10 Sept 1997
13. Doherty, M. J., Spence, D. P., Graham, D., Cheetham, B. M. G., Sun, X. Q. and Earis, J. E., " A vibrating trachea", Thorax, 1997 ; 53: 230-231.
14. Sun XQ and Cheetham BMG, "Chapter 13: Advanced Speech Coding Techniques", In "Insights into Mobile Multimedia Communications" edited by D. Bull et al., pp 207-220, Academic Press Ltd, 1998, ISBN 0-12-140310-6,.
15. Sun X.Q., Cheetham BMG, Earis, JE, "Real time analysis of lung sounds", "Technology and Health Care", Volume 6, no. 1, June 1998, pp. 3-10
16. Plante, F., Kessler, H., Sun, XQ, Cheetham, BMG & Earis, J.E., "Inverse filtering applied to upper airway sounds", "Technology and Health Care", Volume 6, No. 1, June 1998, pp. 23-32.
17. Pollard M.P., Cheetham B.M.G , Goodyear C.C., Edgington M. "Voiced Speech Excitation Synthesis using a sinusoidal model", IEE Electronics Letters,. Vol 34 no 6, 19 March 1998, pp531-532
18. Wong W.T.K., Mak R. M., Cheetham B.M.G. & Sun X.Q. "Chapter 3 : Low bit-rate speech coding", In "Speech Technology for Telecommunications", ed. FA Westall, RD Johnson & AV Lewis, Chapman & Hall 1998, isbn 0 412 79080 7. pp73-103.
19. Sun, XQ, Cheetham, BMG, Evans, KG & Earis JE, "Estimation of analogue prefiltering charactersistics for CORSA standardisation", Technology and Health Care, vol.6, no.4, Nov. 1998, pp.275-283
20. Plante F., Cheetham BMG, et Al "Variable bit-rate speech coding", Proc ICSLP’98, Sydney, Australia, Dec 1998, pp.
21 . Molyneux D, Cheetham BMG, Paris C & Sun, XQ " Discrete all-pole modelling applied to speech coding", Proc ICSLP ’98, Sydney, Australia, Dec 1998, pp.
22. D.J. Molyneux, M.S. Ho, B.M.G. Cheetham, "Application of discrete all-pole modelling to sinusoidal transform coding", Proc. International Conference of Acoust., Speech & Signal Proc., Istanbul, Jun 2000.
Ho, D.J. Molyneux, B.M.G. Cheetham,
"Voicing detection in DAP-STC", Proc. IEEE Speech Coding Workshop
24. N. Li, D.J. Molyneux, M.S. Ho, B.M.G. Cheetham, "Variable bit-rate sinusoidal transform coding using variable order spectral estimation", Proc. International Conference of Speech and Language Processing, Beijing, Oct 2000,.
25 .T.M Jones, M.Trabold, F Plante, BMG Cheetham, J.E Earis, "Objective assessment of hoarseness by measuring jitter".Clinical Otolaryngology 2000, 25, pp.1-4
26. J.E. Earis & BMG Cheetham
"Future perspectives for respiratory sound research", European
Respiratory Review 2000, (ISSN 0905-9180), 10:77, pp.641-646
27. BMG Cheetham G Charbonneau. A Giordano P Helisto J. Vanderschoot , "Digitisation of Data for Respiratory Sound Recording", European Respiratory Review 2000 10:77, pp.621-624
28. G. Charbonneau, A Edemovic B Cheetham LP Malmberg, J. Vanderschoot , ARA Sovijarvi, "Basic Techniques for Respiratory Sound Analysis" European Respiratory Review 2000: 10:77, pp.625-635
29. J.E.Earis & BMG Cheetham "Current Methods used for computerised respiratory sound analysis"
European Respiratory Review, 2000: (ISSN 0905-9180), 10:77 , pp.586-590
30. L Vannuccinni, J Earis, P Helisto B Cheetham M Rossi, ARA Sovijarvi J Vanderschoot, "Capturing and preprocessing of respiratory sounds", European Respiratory Review, (ISSN 0905-9180), 2000: 10:77, pp.616-620
BMG Cheetham, PA Barratt & Dave Marston, "Variable bit-rate speech coding for mobile radio", EPSRC "Impact", Sept 1999
Selection from refereed International Conference papers:
(1) T.M. Jones, M.S. Ho, S. Donohugue, B.M.G. Cheetham, P.M.A. Calverley, A.C.S. Swift, J.E. Earis, "Measurements before and after palatoplasty", accepted for publication in American Thoracic Society, San Francisco, USA, May 2001.
(2) T.M. Jones, M.S. Ho, B.M.G. Cheetham, A.C. Swift, J.E. Earis, "Outcome of snoring surgery 1993-1998", accepted for publication in American Thoracic Society, San Francisco, USA, May 2001.
(1). Plante F., Kessler H., Sun X.Q., Cheetham B.M.G. And Earis J.E., "Inverse filtering applied to upper airway sounds", Proc. Second CORSA WPIII Symposium on Signal Processing in Lung Sound Analysis, Sjolulla, Finland,7-8 June 1996.
(2). Sun X.Q., Cheetham B.M.G., Evans K.G. And Earis J.E. "Estimation of analogue pre-filtering characteristics for CORSA standardisation", Proc. Second CORSA WP III Symposium on Signal Processing in Lung Sound Analysis, Sjolulla, Finland, 7-8 June 1996.
(3) D.J. Molyneux, M.S. Ho, B.M.G. Cheetham, P.A. Barrett, "Modified approach to spectral estimation for sinusoidal transform coding", IEE Colloq. On Speech Coding Algorithms for Radio Channels, April 2000.
(4) B.M.G. Cheetham, X.Q. Sun, "All-pass model", in IEE Colloq. On Speech Coding Algorithm for Radio Channels, April 2000.
(5) N. Li & BMG Cheetham paper in Keele, April 2001
(6) LR He & BMG Cheetham paper in Keele, April 2001
Conference papers (abstracts only published):
(1). Sun X.Q., Cheetham B M G, Evans K G & Earis JE, "Characterisation of pre-filter response for lung sounds measurements ", Proc. 21st Int. Conf. on Lung Sounds, Chester, UK, Sept 1996
(2). Plante F, Kessler H, Sun X Q, Cheetham BMG, & Earis JE "The analysis of upper airway sounds by inverse filtering", Proc. 21st Int. Conf. on Lung Sounds, Chester, UK, Sept. 1996
(3). Cheetham BMG, Molyneux D, Sun XQ Earis JE " Discrete All-Pole Modeling applied to upper airways sounds" Proc 23rd INT Conf on Lung Sounds, Boston Oct 1998
(4). Earis JE, Plante, Cheetham Bmg Et Al " Inverse filtering applied to the analysis of hoarse voice", Proc 23rd INT Conf on Lung Sounds, Boston, Oct 1998
(5) T. Jones, M.S. Ho, B.M.G. Cheetham, J.E. Earis, "Measurements before and after palatoplasty", Proc. 25th International Lung Sounds Conference, Chicago, IL, Sep 2000.
(6) T. Jones, M.S. Ho, B.M.G. Cheetham, J.E. Earis, "Acoustic analysis of patients undergoing palatoplasty", Proc. 24th International Lung Sounds Conference, Marburg, Germany, Oct 1999.
1. CHEETHAM B.M.G., HOLT C. and MUNDAY E. "Polyphonic coding" U.K. Patent no. 891378.2, 1989. Extended world-wide.
CROZIER P., CHEETHAM B.M.G. HOLT C.E. & MUNDAY E. "Noise
3. As above,
4. CHEETHAM SUN and CHOI "All pass model"’ 1998