I am a PhD student in the Information Management Group at the School of Computer Science, The University of Manchester. My supervisors are Uli Sattler and Bijan Parsia. Prior to starting my PhD here in September 2009, I completed a BSc in Medieninformatik (Media Informatics) in Leipzig (Germany) and an MSc in Advanced Computer Science at the University of Manchester. I expect to complete my PhD by early 2013.
My research area is the Semantic Web, in particular explanation for OWL ontologies. I'm currently exploring multiple justifications and running experiments on ontologies. Apart from my research, I enjoy learning about all sorts of (CS related) topics, such as linguistics and HCI. Accessibility in particular is an interesting area I have done some work in for my BSc dissertation (which I wrote at the Deutsche Zentralbücherei für Blinde zu Leipzig, the German Central Library for the Blind in Leipzig).
In terms of extracurricular activities, I run the Manchester Girl Geeks, who organise monthly workshops for women of all ages who are interested in science and technology. I also love my bike, cook a lot, and do the odd bit of blogging.
The School of Computer Science
Kilburn Building, The University of Manchester
Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, United Kingdom
- Samantha Bail, Bijan Parsia, Uli Sattler. Declutter Your Justifications: Determining Similarity Between OWL Explanations. In: Proc. of WoDOOM 2012. [PDF]
- Samantha Bail, Sandra Alkiviadous, Bijan Parsia, David Workman, Mark Van Harmelen, Rafael S. Goncalves, and Cristina Garilao. FishMark: A Linked Data Application Benchmark. In: Proc. of SSWS+HPCSW 2012. [PDF]
- Samantha Bail, Matthew Horridge, Bijan Parsia, Uli Sattler. Diversity of Reason: Equivalence Relations over Description Logic Explanations. In Proc. of DL 2012, 2012. [PDF]
- Samantha Bail, Matthew Horridge, Bijan Parsia, Uli Sattler. The justificatory structure of the NCBO BioPortal ontologies. In Proc. of ISWC-11, 2011. [PDF]
- Matthew Horridge, Samantha Bail, Bijan Parsia, Uli Sattler. The cognitive complexity of OWL justifications. In Proc. of ISWC-11, 2011. [PDF]
- Samantha Bail, Bijan Parsia, Uli Sattler. Extracting finite sets of entailments from OWL ontologies. In Proc. of DL 2011, 2011. [PDF]
- Matthew Horridge, Samantha Bail, Bijan Parsia, and Uli Sattler. The cognitive complexity of OWL justifications. In Proc. of DL-11, 2011. [PDF]
- Samantha Bail, Bijan Parsia, Uli Sattler. JustBench: A benchmarking framework for OWL ontologies. In Proc. of ISWC-10, 2010. [PDF]
- Samantha Bail, Bijan Parsia, Uli Sattler. The justificatory structure of OWL ontologies. OWLED, 2010. [PDF]
- Web Three Oh - I write the occasional blog post about Semantic Web related issues.
- owl.cs, a collection of resources about OWL activities at the School of Computer Science.
- Information Management Group
- Matthew's page on explanation for OWL ontologies
- My official School of Computer Science blog
- My linked in profile
- I'm also on academia.edu
- DAISY2go - a mobile DAISY player. I designed and developed the prototype for my 3rd year project.
- WiSET (Women in Science, Engineering and Technology)
- Manchester Girl Geeks
Page last updated: October 2012